Hey everyone its a good day for yummy chicken and cornbread casserole. I just don’t want this day to end as it’s so beautiful here and I know that it will end soon. I been setting outside since around 8;30 this morning. The squirrels have been so fun to watch today. They are finding food and practically walking right by me to hide it. It’s so cute and funny to watch them pat down a hiding place with their feet.
Last night I prepared a chicken cornbread casserole dish that we have from time to time especially in the winter. I found this recipe on another site some time ago and tweaked it to fit our taste. It’s so hearty with all the vegetables and the sweet cornbread topping is to die for. Hop you enjoy!!
Don’t forget to bookmark and pin and share with your friends on social media.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed 1 inch)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Small boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 5 large potatoes (cute into small cubes around 1 inch each)
- In a large pot cook cubed chicken in 2 Tablespoons of oil on medium heat. Cook about 10 minutes. Take chicken out and set aside.
- Now melt butter in the large pot keeping it on medium high heat. Add onions cook 2 minutes. Add in bag of frozen vegetables, around 5 minutes
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- In a in bowl whisk chicken broth, milk and flour till no there’s lumps. Allow mixture cook for a few minutes to thicken. Stir in cooked chicken and cook for another minute or so until the entire mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture in to a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Prepared cornbread mix, smoothing the mixture out to cover the top of the baking pan
- Bake at 375. for 25 to 30 minutes. Make sure to bake long enough so that the bottom of the cornbread bakes through. Once the bread is done, remove from oven let sit for few minutes.