August 23, 2018
For jerk onions
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- generous pinch of sea salt
- ½ long red chilli, diced finely (or ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or powder)
- 2 large cloves garlic, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme leaves
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- juice of ½ lime
- 2-3 tablespoons water
For the beef patties
- 400-500 g / 1 lb grass fed beef mince
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely grated or diced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- generous pinch fo pepper
- ⅔ teaspoon sea salt
- dollop of coconut oil for cooking
For the salad
- 100 g string green beans, tails chopped off
- ½ long cucumber, diced
- ½ large avocado, diced
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- handful of fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ⅓ teaspoon ground cumin
- generous pinch salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- me juicee oil
- Onions: Heat coconut and olive over medium heat in a medium pan. Add the onions, chilli and salt and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Beef burgers: In a bowl, mix together the beef mince, grated garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Use you hands to work through the meat to make sure the flavours are well incorporated. Make 6 small or 4 larger patties, flatten them and set aside. Heat a dollop of coconut oil in a large skillet and add the patties. Cook for 4 minutes each side, then remove to a plate and set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil.
- Back to onions:Once the onions have softened up and turned golden brown, add the rest of ingredients and stir through. Cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently. Then set aside.
- Make the salad: Add the green beans to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Then strain and rinse under cold water until cool. Dice up (I cut each in three parts) and add to a bowl with cucumber, avocado and tomatoes. Add a little sea salt, pepper, lime juice, coriander seed powder and olive oil and combine.
- Serve the patties topped with the jerk onions and the salad on the side.